Wednesday 26 April 2017

How do you make your mornings easier?


Looking for some advice on the morning rush!Single mom to an almost 3 year old boy. I work full-time Mon-Fri while my son attends pre-school. We try to be out the door by 8:40.Mornings are complete chaos. We're usually up by 7, and the "routine" begins. I start coffee immediately, son plays, I make him a quick breakfast - usually a combo of toast/fruit/yogurt/cheese since it's quick. I then attempt getting ready for work. When I'm by myself, I can be ready in less than a half hour. When son is with me, it's easily an hour an a half.Our biggest issues are his extreme energy in the morning, him not listening (which in turn I start yelling and I know is an issue), and lack of time it seems.Example of our morning - Breakfast/coffee, playing, I put on a show for him so I can leave him in living room while in bathroom. Son and our dog play very well together, but they really hype either other up. So I head to bathroom to get ready, son opens back door, begins throwing anything he can find outside so dog will chase. I try to stop this, continues, threats of time-out occur, time-out may happen, I resume getting ready. Son and dog run all over house, getting into everything they shouldn't, more stress occurs and some yelling may happen at this point. I could go into more detail of other stuff that occurs, including making the house a disaster, but you get the idea. I also end up chasing him around the house getting him ready, which I'm not sure how much he should be doing on his own. He can do shoes and jacket, but pretty much refuses to unless I sit with him and keep him focused.I have tried things like giving him more specific activities in the morning so he's not bored... Like pulling out play-doh which is a treat, making a project, locking doors/closing rooms he shouldn't go tearing through, putting dog in room, and waking up earlier. Nothing has made our mornings easier.Evenings are great. We get home around 5:30, aren't rushed, we have a good routine and he has my full attention. We walk dog, make and eat dinner together, play, bath, stories, and bed by 8 for him and 10ish for me. All in all I think we're a great team. But I can't figure these mornings out, and I see myself yelling more and more out of frustration when I have never been one to raise my voice. We leave in a rush and feel frustrated, and then I feel guilty after dropping him off because maybe he had too many time-outs or I yelled.How do you make your mornings easier? Does it get easier with age? Or should I just start adding Bailey's to my coffee in the morning? Kidding. via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2pAFawm

No comments:

Post a Comment