Monday 27 June 2016

Using Netflix to teach my son to read and spell


My son is four years old. He has been learning to read and write now for about 6 months.One of the key things I want him to learn is how to sound out his words and spell them. He can do simple words, but he is already spelling words pretty well.To help enforce this I ask him what he wants to watch. For example, he wants to watch Puffin Rock.He needs to sound out either word and try to spell it with the remote. (Apple TV)If he misspells a word then nothing shows up. If he spells the word correctly it shows up as an available option.It started slow, but he is learning that vowels are needed after most consonants, learning the mixed letter sounds (CH, SH, TH, etc...) and learning how to correct his mistakes.I'll help him sound out a word, but it's up to him to pick the correct letters for that sound and I'll help if show titles require some advanced spelling. (Rare.)Thought I'd share this idea with you! via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/296l8mg

No comments:

Post a Comment