Tuesday 28 June 2016

My 10 month old is too fat?


I took my baby to the pediatrician last week for his 9 month well baby check(he's almost 10 months though now). The doctor said we're feeding him too much. He's 25 pounds and 29 3/4" long. My husband was 35 pounds at his age, not sure on how long he was, but I was also really big for my age too. We're also both giants at 6' and 6'2".Everyone that I've talked to about it scoffs and says he's just a big boy, chunky, and once he starts walking the weight will melt off. Except my mom, who is a nurse practitioner, who agrees with the doctor and is very accusatory when I talk to her. She thinks I'm not feeding him enough "real" food and I'm feeding him too much formula.The doctor asked us to cut out night feedings and sub in 8 oz of water a day and we could start that at night, I stopped breastfeeding at 6 months because I couldn't get him to stop biting me, so he's on formula, but he eats at least 1 8oz bottle a night after he goes to sleep, sometimes 2. He eats baby food at breakfast & lunch, has a bottle between, has a bottle after, and a snack after, and then maybe a bottle a home before dinner or right after, and he gets to try some of our dinner too. He's on stage 2 food, he hates stage 3, but loves our food. He hates juice, and he'll drink water in a bottle if I give it to him during the day, but he doesn't care for sippy cups yet, though I try with him about every other day and daycare tries the sippy daily. He generally won't eat baby food at dinner time. He wants a bottle or our food.We have cut the night feeding 2 nights now, I did it the first night the doctor asked and he whined and cried and it broke my heart. Then I just needed sleep desperately because my husband is sick and taking care of him plus the kids plus being up all night and working a 40 hour work week was just too much. I finally got to the point I was ready to try again last night and my baby refused the water, he'd snatch the bottle and as soon as he realized it was water would throw it down and wail. It was a really rough night.I feel like I'm denying him nourishment. I understand the doctor says his BMI is too high, but he's hungry. Has anyone else experienced this? I feel so horrible about it. I'm making him fat, but then I'm denying him food. I don't know what to do. via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/298yOxi

No comments:

Post a Comment