Thursday 30 June 2016

I think I'm good with just having my son. Any advice for raising an only child?


I have a 9 month old boy who's wonderful. He wasn't planned, but things couldn't have gone better with him if he had been. The military was doing a trial maternity leave program of 18 weeks, and my maternity leave lined up with my terminal leave, so all together I got to spend 6 whole months at home with him before returning back to work.Now that I'm on the civilian side and my best case scenario is 12 unpaid weeks I could never afford to take, I just feel no desire to have another child. I don't want to have kids that are too spaced out in age either, and our financial prospects aren't going to drastically improve in the next few years.I have four brothers, so I never planned on just having one child, but in truth it sounds more and more appealing. We'd be able to focus our finances and time on just him - he could play sports and an instrument without too much strain, childcare wouldn't destroy us, and he wouldn't have to join the military to pay for college like my husband and I did.It feels shallow to change my life plans because of money, but the more I think about it, the more I think it's a better idea for our family. Does anyone want to share their experience with only children, or have any advice? :) via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/296vjTF

No comments:

Post a Comment