Wednesday 29 June 2016

The plastic/electronic toys vs wooden toys debate


So, before I had my son I was very much inclined towards more wooden toys and 'simple' toys, and made it clear to family who might buy things to avoid anything battery powered and electronic. This is partially because I prefer wooden toys and do think that perhaps simpler toys leave more room for imagination, and also I want to avoid the faff of replacing batteries and the annoyance of bleeps and flashing lights. We do buy Lego and certain plastic toys that are still non-battery powered, though.Anyway, a lot of people told me it was unrealistic and that I'd cave at some point - kids prefer electronics, they'll get bored, etc.My son is 21 months now and to be honest I find the opposite is true. We haven't got anything battery powered for him at home, and he rarely has TV/tablet time (like, 10 mins a day maximum usually, mostly him watching orchestra videos on YouTube) and so he only plays with these things out of the house at playgroups etc. I find that the flashing stuff/plastic toys tend to keep him entertained for maybe only 30 seconds - enough time to be amused by the lights, but then want to see something new. Whereas wooden puzzles/stacking toys/etc. at home can keep him entertained for much longer than that.Any experiences from parents on here? Am I missing out by not buying electronic stuff, or is it a myth that kids are more entertained by flashing lights and music? via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/294oVBk

No comments:

Post a Comment