Thursday 30 June 2016

My kid is a brat...shit.


I have one child. She's 22 months old and I fear my husband and I have fallen into the trap of what's easy vs. what's best. I am a teacher so it's just she and I for the summer (during the school year, my SIL watches her, along with my nephew who is 18 months). I first realized she was a brat and got her way all the time when I signed her up for a weekly 'ONE IS FUN' class through our parks and rec. department. Free play coupled with clean-up and circle time, songs etc. She is easily the most out of control in the class and throws a F-I-T during any re-direction. This led me to take an inventory of when we just 'let it go' and 'choose our battles' or 'let her explore' and as it turns out, it's quite often. The list includes, but is not limited to:Bibs--she hates them and throws a huge fit when we try to put them on her. The solution? No more bibs.Phones--I stopped trying to keep my phone away from her. She throws an enormous fit if I'm on it and don't give it to her so, guess what? I either put it away or just let her have it.T.V-- I don't watch T.V or the news during the day like I want. if the T.V is on, she breaks down and I either turn if off or put on the educational shows she's grown to love.Nothing for me--I am her entertainment committee. If I try to read a book, talk on the phone or do something on the computer, she suddenly NEEDS me--even if she's playing just fine on her own, she NEEDS me all of a sudden. Do I give in? Hell yes I do, her tantrums are nuts.Even as I write out this list it's clear to me that what I need to do. The logical part of my brain says, "duh, let her throw a fit, she'll figure it out and life moves on" the Parental part of me says "She's my baby and I hate seeing her upset, is it really that big of a deal? She'll grown out of it?I'm pregnant so she'll have to grow out of this eventually (very early, not due until March).What say you /r/parenting? Am I overreacting or do I need to start laying down the law? via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/295UV38

No comments:

Post a Comment