Tuesday 28 June 2016

UPDATE: I think my toddler is obsessed with food


Find my OP here.Well, we saw the doctor today. Here's what happened:His height is about 35 inches (60th %tile) and his weight is about 32 lbs (87th %tile). She said that yes, he is overweight. She is not too worried, though, because in her experience the kids with the healthy diets don't end up being overweight as they get older.I took someone's advice from my OP and took photos of everything he ate one day and asked her how it looked. She said that he pretty much has the best diet of any of her patients! Mind you, this is based on the new way I've been feeding him - keeping the "meat and potatoes" part of the meal small, and then loading up the rest of his plate with fruit and veggies. She said it sounds perfect and to keep that up.She reiterated that 2% milk is fine and I can even give 1% if I like. She said since I give him plenty of other healthy fats in his diet that it's not an issue.She didn't really have much to say about his trying to eat everyone else's food at the playground, the speed with which he eats, or about how he cleans his plate. She seems to assume that as he gets older and understands more it will be easier to talk to him and come up with ways to help him slow down and recognize how his tummy feels. She said to keep up with trying to distract him away from the food when he's had a lot, which is hard nowadays, especially since it's so hot where we live that the playground is boiling hot even in the morning so everyone gathers in the shady spot with the food. We went to our playdate right after his appointment, and he ate a whole apple (slices) and a few crackers, then wolfed down strawberries that were meant for everyone to share until I had to physically take him away and try to distract him with toys. Still, I'll keep trying.She said he is ahead of the curve in language and comprehension in general, so that made me feel good. :) And when he started freaking out and crying when she tried to listen to his chest and look in his mouth, she must have noticed the distressed look on my face, because she was quick to say "this is normal behavior, by the way." She is AWESOME. I really wish she could be my doctor!Anyway, bottom line is that yes, he's overweight for his height, but she thinks I'm doing everything right and wants me to keep it up. She warned me that things will likely get a little worse after the baby is born next month, but I should try not to worry too much about it because she's not too concerned. Also, since I'll be seeing her a lot more frequently when the baby is born, she said we can do check-ins when we have baby appointments and talk about how he's doing.I feel a little better, but not totally better. I'm a little sad that I need to continue monitoring his diet so closely, and I'm scared of trying to cope with that as well as care for a newborn baby. He seems very happy and energetic with all the fruits and veg he's been eating lately, so that's good, but we live somewhere that is VERY HOT right now, and our time outdoors is limited. I'm trying to do more bounce house-type activities so he can get some energy out without us both frying in the sun.Anyway, thanks to everyone who took the time to comment and share their suggestions and experiences. I still feel very alone in this, but it's encouraging to hear that others have gone through something similar and have found ways of coping. In the end, I just want a happy, healthy child, and I'll keep doing whatever it takes to get him there and help him stay that way. via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2918Xq7

No comments:

Post a Comment