Monday 27 June 2016

Single Dad with a 6 Year Old Daughter That's Having Trouble Adjusting (I guess that's to call it) To My New Marriage.


My daughter will be 6 years old on July 26th of this year. Her mom and I split up about a year after she was born and have been on a 50/50 shared parenting plan since March of 2012 with few hiccups. Occasionally, our daughter would want to stay at her mom's longer or my house longer and we let her - no big deal. We recently made the decision for the school year to make it every other weekend until summer so my daughter could focus on school and not worry about which house she would be at. Sure, it was only Kindergarten but I didn't want anything hindering her growth. During summer, we were going to go back to the week on/week off 50/50 plan.2016 has been interesting. I got married to a woman who had 2 children previously and then we decided to make a baby - so we are now having our 4th total child (due October 31st). My daughter has not adjusted as well as my wife and I had hoped. When we were dating and hanging out, there was no problem. Going from a family of 2 (her and I) to a family of 5 (going on 6 with the new baby), I admit, would be tough (it was difficult just for me!) but I'm hopeful we could work through it.Last night (Sunday), my daughter's mom text me that "_ _ _ _ _ _ says she doesn't want to come over there anymore. She says she misses me and doesn't miss you."What do I do and how do I fix this? Part of me is all "She's only 6 years old. Don't take things she says so literal." but then the rest of me says "What if she really doesn't love me anymore and doesn't want to see me ever again?".Any advice on how to remedy the situation would be appreciated. via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/291WWRX

No comments:

Post a Comment