Tuesday 28 June 2016

Opinions: Who is responsible when a young child breaks something at daycare?


So I have a dilemma and I'm hoping to get as many opinions as possible.I have a 4 year old child, and he's quite the little handful. We're in the process of having him deemed "gifted", and we're in talks with our pediatrician and workers who are explaining that part of the package is that he will be more difficult to handle than a typical child because of this. He has trouble with his temper, and he has trouble relating to other children because his interests are sort of more complex for his age. Our daycare worker is totally on board the process, and she seems eager for the opportunity to care for the little stinker. We love her; she's been great to us so far. We're thankful that she's agreed to take on our son in her home daycare.We've been there for around a year now, and in that time he once broke a toy. She never asked us to pay and honestly before now I didn't really consider that our responsibility. I viewed it as part of running a home daycare, although I did and still do feel badly about it. Maybe you'll agree with me on not offering to pay for it, maybe you'll disagree, but nonetheless, the fact that he's broken something before is important for what I'm about to say next.He's broken something again, and I'm very torn on how to feel about it. This time it was an expensive, fragile glass item that could have seriously hurt him or the other children there, and it shouldn't have been within his reach in the first place. She says he broke it purposely by slamming it to the ground. I'm torn in the following two directions:I want to replace her item because I feel so badly that my child purposely broke it and because he's broken something in the past which I already don't feel too great about.I don't want to replace the item, because I don't want it to again be within his reach, and potentially hurt himself or others. I'm concerned that he was able to grab it to begin with. If he'd have gotten his hands on something like that in my own care, I'd feel kind of dumb for allowing him access to it in the first place.This is really the first time I've been concerned for his safety like this, and I understand that accidents happen, so I'm willing to get over that since she's otherwise been fabulous. People are human and slip up. That's how I view the situation because she has an otherwise wonderful track record. I'm just totally at a loss for how to proceed. My husband and I are getting the impression that she wants us to pay for her broken glass. We kind of want to, but also kind of don't want to since that would be rewarding her slip that could have hurt our child.What would you do if you were in this situation? We never signed anything stating that we're responsible for broken items, so I know that legally we're not required to pay. I want to be nice, but not too nice. I'm thinking that maybe I'll use this as a life lesson for our son, with the whole taking change from the piggy bank to buy a new one at the store... but... he shouldn't have been able to grab it in the first place! I'm very very torn. Maybe pay for half since every party should own up to their responsibility in the matter? What do you think? via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2978eEw

No comments:

Post a Comment