Tuesday 31 March 2020

Will I fail as a parent if my kid never learns to ride a bike?


For background, my oldest was diagnosed as an infant with low muscle tone (hypotonia) and did weekly physical therapy until aging out of Early Intervention at age 3. She was slow to hit milestones and had some accompanying health issues (aspiration of thin liquids, ect) that came with the diagnosis, but otherwise the average onlooker would have had no idea. By the time she aged out of therapy she was pretty much on par with her peers physically and has stayed that way until now, age 6.She can run, jump, climb, and do everything other kids can. Honestly, my husband and I pretty much forget she ever had issues, because while it might take her a little more effort to do things it's not really that noticeable and kids have varying skill abilities anyway.Except for bike riding. This child never really took to her balance bike, and she didn't even "get" pedaling until close to age 5 (and she still sucks at it now). Being home bound, I decided to buy her a well-fitting new bike (with training wheels) in the hopes that we could work with her on it. It's been TERRIBLE. On our super flat neighborhood street she's incapable of pedaling if there's even a 3 degree incline. If there's even the tiniest downhill slope she slams on her brakes repeatedly even if she's traveling at 1/4 of my walking pace. She's deathly afraid of any cracks on the road. At first I thought it was mental, but after multiple bike rides with gentle reassurance and encouragement, I realize that her physical inability is causing a lot of the mental issues with this activity. She literally CAN'T propel herself forward on her bike with leg strength. Her 3 year old sister who got her old bike and was brand new to pedaling was literally cycling circles around her by day 2. My husband and I know there are bike riding programs out there for kids, but do those focus more on the mental? We're considering enrolling her in some sort of Occupational or Physical Therapy for this issue, but it seems extreme considering that she's 100% fine in every other aspect of her life. But at the same time I'd hate for her to miss out on a integral part of childhood (what I consider integral anyway).What's the Reddit verdict here? via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/2w1JlpQ

No comments:

Post a Comment