Sunday 29 March 2020

4yr old kid keeps getting more and more aggressive, any idea how to handle this?


Our 4.5 year old boy has been getting really angry really easily lately. If he gets told to stop something or the tiniest thing doesn't go his way, he'll start throwing items at us. When told not to do that, he hits and kicks us. This starts to be a daily occurrence.This morning, I he was tearing stickers off of a parcel, and I told him that we'll go to brush his teeth after I have had my breakfast. We always give him a fair warning before he has to stop his things so fun stuff doesn't come to an abrupt end. I ate my breakfast but he didn't want to go brush his teeth, so I gently took the parcel away and told him we agreed to go after my breakfast. He yelled "no" and tried to grab the parcel from the counter top. As he wasn't able, he took a cardboard tube and tried to use that to get the parcel back. My wife took the parcel away and that was when he threw the tube at me.He started hitting and kicking us, and it took an hour for him to finally stop it. He would cry for a bit, then take a new item, throw it and again start hitting me. I don't get physical with him, but I had to deflect the punches and keep him from hitting and kicking me over and over again. We've tried asking why he does this, but he won't say anything. We've tried naming his feelings ("you're angry that we took your cardboard box away"), but nothing. When he's in this state of mind, we can't leave him alone for a single moment as he'll start breaking things. We even have to take his glasses off whenever we notice he starts get angry as he'll throw them too.What could we do with him? He's like a tiny Jekyll and Hyde, as most of the time he's the sweetest, funniest kid who considers others in his actions and is well behaved and smart, and in an instant he listens to nothing and sticks to his guns, hitting and kicking, even for hours on end.As for the consequences he faces after behaving this way, we tell him about what could have gone wrong with his actions and we take all the toys away he had thrown. At times, when being overly aggressive, we take all his toys and he gets them back once he has behaved nicely and helped us with the chores (to his ability, of course).We've done pretty much all the things the top 50 sites tell you to do when a kid hits and kicks and throws things, but these articles always assume the kid stops doing that after you take action - which our kid does not. It's usually an hour or two of just holding him on the sofa while he tries to hit and kick us.We're at our wit's end here. via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/2JpiuqJ

No comments:

Post a Comment