Monday 27 May 2019

My toddler son loves girl toys and TV shows/movies. People keep making mean comments in public about it. Anyone else have experience with this?


Before I start, I'd like to say I don't care what sexuality my son is. This is about the toys and shows he prefers and how people are treating his decisions and preferences.My son is almost 4. He insists on having a lot of girl toys and loves shows like my little pony and Barbie.He likes what he likes so I don't really care what he enjoys as long as it's age appropriate.However, quite a few people have been making comments to me in public about his choices. I do a lot of thrifting and let him pick out toys. A lot of adults (men, women, young, old) make snarky comments in my son's presence about his toy selections (doll houses, play kitchen sets).Like yesterday he wanted a pink and purple dollhouse, so inevitably people are saying things like "oh, don't you want an action figure," or "is that for your sister?"His teachers/school workers also direct boys to not play with girl toys (I've stopped in unannounced at his school a lot) and even at doctor appointments staff makes comments about what he plays with in the waiting area.I am getting really sick of adults making these comments in front of my child. I don't view his preferences as right or wrong. If it makes him happy and it's safe I don't care if it's pink and sparkly.Also, these people occasionally say things like my son may be "too feminine," and imply that somehow buying him a dollhouse will "make" him gay. If you've been to rural Bible belt areas, this type of mentality is rather common. And yes, most people here think sexuality is a choice and the American Family Association's state president lives a few minutes from my house (the AFA is considered a hate group, but here is considered apex morality).I don't want my son to feel shame about marching to his own drum. His father isn't happy about his toy or tv selection but he'll defend our sons right to have it to the death.Has anyone else dealt with this? If so, do you have advice on how i should respectfully respond when people say things in front of my kid? via /r/Parenting http://bit.ly/2X9rzsZ

No comments:

Post a Comment