Tuesday 28 May 2019

Disappointed about daughter's kindergarten teacher


More of a rant than anything else, and I made a throwaway bc several of my friends are also redditors. So here we go.​I have three kids. DD5 is my oldest. She starts kindergarten in September, and we are both nervous and excited. About a month ago, she had her kindergarten orientation, where she met all 3 kindergarten teachers, read a story, and did a craft with other kindergarteners and I also had a parent orientation that night.Now, before any of you chew me out, this is more of a venting post. I have several friends in the neighborhood, who have kids older than DD5 and have kids who went through kindergarten. For the past while, now, and when many of them had their kids in kindergarten, many of these parents were complaining about one particular kindergarten teacher, let's call her Mrs. G, saying she was just kind of unpleasant, unorganized, and had a very snappy atittude. Now, I am not one to judge and I form my own opinions, nor would I want my beliefs/the beliefs of others make my daughter not enjoy kindergarten. So, I went into orientation wanting to form my own opinion. If she was really that bad, unqualified, and nasty---she wouldn't be teaching kindergarten, right?Ooof. I drop my daughter off at orientation, and when I pick her up, she seemed to have a good time, but as soon as we get into the car, she mentions the teachers she met, including one teacher that "looked like a frowny grouchy grandma" that "wasn't as nice as the other teachers". I know for a fact that Mrs. G is older (not a bad thing) and I get it that people have bad days, but the fact that my DD made this observation after an hour and a half meeting---just makes me think. And no, my daughter had no prior notions about Mrs. G. before this. If a teacher's attitude/demeanor is that way, that's an issue---and kids are VERY good at reading people. I made a comment to my DD about how maybe she had a bad day, and changed the subject to the craft she did. I still kept an open mind.That night, my DH and I go to parent orientation. We met all three teachers, two are younger, and Mrs. G is older, about 65 (not a bad thing!). During the entire orientation, Mrs. G. had this scowl on her face, looked displeased, checked out, and the other teachers were pleasant, answered questions, etc. Still---I am a firm believer in giving people chances and not judging a book by it's cover, but I'd think you'd be happy and smile, even if you had to fake it, during both parent and student kindergarten orientation. We were told that the students would be assigned their teacher in about a month or so, and I feel awful, but I prayed that DD would NOT get Mrs. G. Her attitude and demeanor rubbed me the wrong way. My DH, who is pretty laid back and easy going, remarked to me on the way home, that "Gee, that older teacher seemed to be either really grouchy, or in the wrong career"On Friday, I got DD's teacher assignment for next year emailed to me. She got Mrs. G, and I can't help to be disappointed. I am not telling her that I am disappointed, nor did I tell her who she has for a teacher yet. I can't help but be slightly upset. I heard for years about this woman, and decided to form my own opinion. Now, I know a student orientation and parent orientation isn't exactly a long time, but I'd think this woman, when meeting new students or parents, would try and put on a better face and attitude. And I GET that everyone is fighting invisible battles, but ugh. Am I wrong for being disappointed? Now, I am not going to call the school and ask to get her teacher changed---not doing that. But I also feel, deep down, that DD will have a hard time with her.Normally, if the child was older, I'd think oh, maybe this is a lesson that not everyone is super pleasant and you can't get along with everyone---but this is kindergarten. The kids are 5 and 6 years old. As it could turn out, Mrs. G. could be great and very experienced---but am I wrong for this woman's attitude to rub me the wrong way?More of a vent, and I feel better already, but ugh. Rough stuff. via /r/Parenting http://bit.ly/2KaOa51

No comments:

Post a Comment