Tuesday 28 May 2019

My dad died when I was ten and I'm about to be a father.


When I was ten years old my dad died suddenly from a heart attack. As a ten year old boy, he was my hero, best friend, mentor, and everything else a father is to their ten year old son. I'm now 31 and still struggle regularly with him being gone. He's missed me growing up, missed my (and my sibling's) wedding, and now my child (who will be here in a little over a month) won't have a grandpa from my side of the family.For a long time I didn't want kids because I didn't ever want the possibility of repeating the same situation, as awful as that sounds. Now I've met the right woman and we decided kids were in the cards for us.I'm excited to be a dad. I'm also scared and feel like I don't have the resource I need (or at least want) to go to. And the thought that these moments won't be able to be shared with him really bums me out.Does anyone have any recommended reading material or something like that that's on this sort of topic? via /r/Parenting http://bit.ly/2YVViWV

No comments:

Post a Comment