Thursday 30 May 2019

Education causes recklessness...allegedly


I was raised in a VERY Southern Baptist household in the Bible Belt by parents raised in the 30’s/40’s. If that doesn’t paint the most conservative household then I don’t know what does. Husband and I are expecting our first baby, a girl, in September. I had always thought that I would be able to talk to my mom about parenting when it came time but boy was I wrong. You see, I drifted away from the church (read:cult) because I didn’t subscribe to all of their ideas about what constitutes a good person and a good life. Granted, I am thankful for the lessons I learned along the way because I believe it will help be be a well rounded parent with equal parts fun and grounded discipline, but I have taken a far (like real far from where I came) liberal stance to life. Ok, now that we have the backstory out of the way, here comes he fun part. When I was growing up, sex was NOT discussed...like ever. The most I was taught was to never ever hold a boys hand, or hug him, and god forbid don’t kiss him. Aside from that, my sex Ed was from school, and good thing I have a level head so I actually learned something from it. In my house, abstinence was the only option. Period. Full stop. Yeah that didn’t work so well for me. I met my now husband when I was 16 and, well, hormones did the rest. My parents were LIVID to say the least when they found out and I was a) forced to break up with him and b) marched to the OBGYN for birth control. I was talking to my mom a few weeks ago and parenting came up. I told her how I want our daughter to feel comfortable coming to us with everything, including sex, and how intended to fully educate her about condoms, birth control, how sex works, consent and how to handle those situations. My mom....started crying. Y’all it was bizarre. Apparently, according to her, teaching my daughter about sex will UNDOUBTEDLY lead me to having a pregnant teenager under my roof. Lesson for us all: do not, under any circumstances, educated your child about sex because the more they know the more reckless they will be...I guess. via /r/Parenting http://bit.ly/2Wdm7c8

No comments:

Post a Comment