Friday 30 December 2016

Thoughts on putting son (19) out of house.


I've a son who turned 19 recently. He's a bit of a lazy bum. He barely graduated from high school on time, but he has no motivation to do anything else: Like work, drive, have a girlfriend/boyfriend, or do anything other than sleep or play Overwatch.But his laziness, in my opinion, borders on mental illness. This is a child (man, now) that you have to remind to brush his teeth and shave and take a bath; otherwise he will just say "I forgot."When he was in his early to mid teens we took him to a psychiatrist for his issues, but she eventually gave up on him and suggested throwing ADHD drugs at him (which didn't help).He's no interest in finding a job or going to school and when I can manage to get him an interview somewhere like a grocery store, he claims he gets nervous and messes it up.He has no actual real life friends; only the folks he chats with online. When he was in his earlier teens he did have real life friends, but they decided to grow up, get jobs or go to college.I'm not sure what part of his brain that is suppose to click on doesn't work.At any rate, it's just about time for him to go if he is not going to be useful in any way, to himself or anyone else.How do I go about throwing him out of the house? I'll say that the part of town we are in isn't the best in the world; the odds of him falling victim to violent crime on the street is extremly high. He has no friends to turn to. So I would be putting someone on the street with the mental maturity of a ten year old.So do I give hime a 6-12 month time limit? I'm pretty sure he won't meet it. Do I give him an empty duffle bag and change the locks? If he can't/won't get a job now, he certainly won't be able to get one living under a bridge, assuming he survives.I don't want to enable, but I don't want to take care of a grown man, either.Putting my foot down hard means throwing him out, but am I prepared to deal with the outcome? What if he really does have psychological issues? Should he be committed somewhere?I know some of this sounds like hyperbole, but I assure you, it's all true. I am just not sure how I am supposed to "parent" this. Most of us as kids wanted to grow up, get jobs, cars, girlfriends, etc. Most of us had friends.This guy is perfectly happy to not care about his appearance or anything else. via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2iqRMm1

No comments:

Post a Comment