Friday 30 December 2016

My 2.5 year old started stuttering.


My kid is 2 and a half and started talking at 18 months. By 22 months, he was able to put together words and small sentences. By 2, he was speaking full sentences and 4-5 syllable words. Something like "Daddy, you go to work, I want to spend my day with mummy." Or " mummy, your sweater is beautiful".Occasionally, he'd repeat a word or slightly get stuck on a word. I paid no attention to it, as I considered it typical for a 2 year old learning language.In the last few days (probably weeks, I've only noticed it in the last few days) this disfluency has deteriorated dramatically. He is struggling to say words and sentences he's said a 100 times before and he realizes it. He says, "mummy, why am I unable to say this word".His typical sentence now starts with "mmmmmmmmMmmmmmmmm... Mummyyyyyyy.... " (the number of m's are not an exaggeration, he's getting stuck for a good 10-15 seconds at times). He's prolonging words every 3rd to 4th sentence. If we tell him to take your time and think about what you're saying, he's very easily able to say the same sentences without any prolongation.We've looked for signs on whether he's doing this when he's tired or upset or excited, but no, it happens consistently, at all times, with all audiences, including himself.We've also looked for other signs - he seems sharp as ever and talkative as ever, however he is a little more cranky than usual.I know that the best bet is to consult an expert, and in all likelihood he will grow out of it, but it's very distressing nevertheless. Wondering is anyone might have some insight. via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2iOH7lH

No comments:

Post a Comment