Wednesday 28 December 2016

My 6 year old is turning into a spoiled brat. Need to turn this around.


So a typical conversation with my 5 year old :Me: "Did you have a nice Christmas?" Her: "No, it was horrible" Me: "Oh, why?" Her: "I didn't get the things I asked for"She asked for all the equestria girl dolls. They are quite expensive, so she only got two of them, in addition to all kinds of other things.That was not an isolated incident. Pretty much consistently she will say things are horrible, because something wasn't 100% perfect.I am afraid she is turning into a spoiled brat who doesn't really appreciate that life is something that you have to work for and there will be flaws and disappointments. That's normal and not a reason to make a big fuss about everything.There are a couple of reasons I can think that has brought us to this point.She was born extremely prematurely. Consequently she was extremely lavished with love and attention during her early years. Someone was always hovering over her to pick her up lest she damage her delicate frame. I feel we went completely overboard in over-protecting her.Her mother and I have recently separated. Although our split was only a couple of months ago our relationship was wrong for a very long time. As a result I feel our daughter became a bit of an emotional support for both of us. This has made her feel like she is simply the most important member of the family rather than an equal, or indeed a subservient.So I can't change the past, but I can try to put things right for the future. What can I do now to help things? How does one 'unspoil' a child? via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2hsTnGx

No comments:

Post a Comment