Saturday 31 December 2016

2 Year Old Night Waking Plan. Feedback appreciated!


My son has been waking up at least once a night for a long, long time. It's gotten to the point where the only thing that will get him to go back to sleep is if mom gives him a hug, then tucks him back in. Obviously, this is not sustainable.Here's my plan to tackle this problem.We did a modified Ferber at 6 months and then a few times since whenever there's been a set back. The first time was rough and long, but the tune ups have been one night affairs until he's back on track. Since that initial Ferber, he is an angel going to bed. 98% of the time, he goes down without a fuss and even by request. He enjoys going to bed.But staying asleep at night or putting himself back to sleep have obviously been a different story.What I plan to do when he wakes to tonight is to leave mom sleeping and I go in to check on him. Give him a wordless, quick once over to make sure that he's not in need of anything. Then tell him it's time to go to bed, put him back down and leave the room. Then come back in 2 minutes, 5 minutes, etc. Basically, just a Ferber, but in the middle of the night.His first waking is usually at 1130ish, which I feel is a fine hour for this tactic. But what about if he wakes at 430? My understanding is that that's too late for any sort of CIO.I'm fairly certain he'll scream bloody murder, but I don't really see an alternatives that will help him sort this out on his own.I suppose I could stay in the room, just quietly lay next to his bed until he's quiet again so that he knows he's not alone. But then I'm concerned with creating just another crutch.What are your thoughts about this?Also, his comfort item is a small fabric monkey. He sleeps with it. Sometimes, he'll freak out in the middle of the night if he can't find it. What's the best way to handle this? via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2iSxguP

No comments:

Post a Comment