Saturday 31 December 2016

13 year old obsessed with video games. Wife and I are at our wits end.


My wife and I have four kids (13M, 11M, 7M, 4F)Our younger three kids are normal kids but the 13 year old is addicted to video games. We have a gaming system set up in the basement and that's all he does all day. He gets home from school, goes down to the basement, and plays games.My wife and I both work full time, so it is difficult to monitor. My 11 year old stays after school for sports and the younger two go to a baby sitter after school. Once I get off work, I usually pick my 11 year old up from school, pick the little ones up from their babysitter, and depending on the day, I either go back home or take the 7 year old to practice.By the time I get home, the oldest has been playing video games for hours upon hours. He comes up to eat dinner with the family, but that's about it. He is getting his homework done (he does it at lunch and in study hall) but I don't really care about that.The weekends are worse. We have a wrestling tournament for my 7 year old today and my 11 year old has playoffs for his basketball team next weekend. That means the 13 year old will either have to come with us and complain the whole time ruining everyone else's fun or he will sit at home all day playing video games.We have tried hiding the gaming system, but he always finds it. We can't get rid of it because we get Netflix through it. I really want to hire a babysitter but my wife thinks it will humiliate him if anyone at school finds out. I honestly don't care at this point. I am sick of it.I am open to any advice at this point. via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2iiSD7v

No comments:

Post a Comment