Tuesday 27 December 2016

Teaching a kid to be accountable


I wrote out a much longer thread, but it boils down to this: my 12 year old daughter either can't or won't admit mistakes or wrong choices. She's incredibly verbally precocious, and will filibuster the hell out of you if you try to explain what she did wrong. This could be anything from if you correct her mispronunciation of a word ("I only mispronounced it because I was eating ice and my mouth was cold!) to reacting to get caught lying ("I didn't mean to lie about practicing violin! I was just remembering my practice from yesterday and thought it was today!").If she actually takes responsibility for something, I praise the hell out of her.But now that she's a tween, she not only has the same problems accepting responsibility, she now weeps like a Shakespearean character when confronted with anything. Not only do I totally "not understand" that x matter is not her fault, but she says I "scream" at her (I haven't raised my voice, but gotten firm), that I don't give her chance to explain her innocence.It's exhausting. But it's also sad to me. Is she being overly dramatic because that's what tweens do? Or does she honest to goodness think I am biased against her? And how can I help her grow up to be someone who take responsibility for her actions? She'll even deny responsibility even when it's against her own interests. via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2i5ScNO

No comments:

Post a Comment