Saturday 31 December 2016

How would you let your kid down without crushing their ambition?


I have a 7 year old daughter who is a big dreamer. She has been working on a "book" for about 6 weeks now. Yesterday she announced that she finally finished her book and that she is ready to "get it published, and printed for selling". She is very serious about it too and expects for it to happen. I have to tell her that it is not going to happen, but I know that I will let her down when I tell her.This past summer she did the same thing with art. She spent many hours and weeks creating art. When she had a big collection she wanted me to take her somewhere to sell her art. She even put price tags on all of her art work. I had to tell her that it was not going to happen. I also told her that while she enjoys doing art as a hobby, professional artists spend many years practicing art before they are ready and that she still needed a lot more practice. She was very disappointed when I told her.What do you think is the best way to handle this situation? I think that I need to tell her the truth and adjust her expectations, but at the same time I feel bad bursting her bubble. via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2iBt67i

No comments:

Post a Comment