Monday 26 December 2016

Preparing a 15 month old for a sibling


My son will be 20 months on his upcoming little sibling's due date. I know we're crazy but I'm already 35 and we wanted them close together, so I've been poking around and mentally preparing myself to be more tired than I can actually imagine for at least a year or so. Fortunately we're in Canada so I'll have a year of maternity leave, and I'll probably extend it to more like 16 months since I teach and there's no point going back to work in May.I have no idea what I could/should be doing to prepare my son for another baby. He's still so little, he's only just started saying "hi" and "wow" and toddler-babble attempts at communicating, while he definitely understands simple phrases (sit down, come here, where's daddy etc), I don't know how much he absorbs when I talk at him about other things going on around us.I did read somewhere that I should get him a baby doll and start teaching him that we don't pick infants up by their heads or poke them in the eyes. He is okay with dogs but has grabbed the cat's tails a few times. Our grouchy old cat did swat him for grabbing his tail today (but did not leave a mark, just scared him, such a good kitty), so he might have learned a little more gentleness in a few months.The main thing so far has been trying to get him to be a little more gentle with ME, no more using Mama as a living jungle gym. He's a pretty self-sufficient little guy and generally pretty chill about playing on his own, and when he's not sick or, like right now, cutting all his canines at once, he's a good sleeper.Kind of a ramble so thank you if you actually read all that. via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2i2aiAm

No comments:

Post a Comment