Monday 28 January 2019

Parenting failure


I'm a new mom. Happily married and love my child. Yet, I feel like my traumatic childhood is still negatively impacting me and will negatively impact my child if I don't make a change.I grew up in a household where everything I did was wrong or my fault. I consciously try to treat my baby with love and attention (opposite to what I grew up with) - I want to do this parenting thing the right way but continuously feel like a failure.For example - I was preparing a bottle for baby and I spilled some of the formula on the ground. My immediate reaction was fear and crying as I know if I had done this in my parents house, I'd get hit across the head by whatever tool was around. Now, my spouse is not abusive and did not understand why I was basically having a meltdown over a "simple mistake". Things like this happen all the time, my spouse has reassured me that it's OK to make mistakes - yet, I still tremble with fear and can barely attend to my baby once in meltdown mode. Which then again makes me feel like a terrible parent.I find myself stuck with the mindset of being a child myself and that everything I do is wrong or not good enough and that eventually I'll mess up my child. I don't know how to leave this way of life behind. I don't know if anyone has felt this way? Any insight on getting past such feelings would be much appreciated. via /r/Parenting http://bit.ly/2sONPeh

No comments:

Post a Comment