Tuesday 29 January 2019

Help with discipline


I need serious help with a discipline system... or “behavior management” or whatever you want to call it. My kids are out of control!There’s a ton of advice out there but so much of it doesn’t fit my situation well. First of all I should preface with the fact that have moderate-severe, medium-functioning depression. Not going to go into detail on that other than to say I’ve been trying to treat it fairly unsuccessfully for 12+ years and obviously it makes everything about parenting much harder.My kids are 7 and 4 and we’ve really never had a discipline system. Besides yelling, of course. And then eventually I simply give up and let them do whatever because I’m too tired to fight. We have no authority and the kids walk all over us. I’m so sick of it.A quick browse online makes it pretty clear that “positive parenting” is the current popular method. And to give it credit, it seems to be backed up with a fair amount of research. I’ve read quite a bit about it and gave it a shot, but I finally realized it’s just too hard for someone in my condition. I’m not sure I could ever summon the patience, compassion, empathy and understanding it requires, as hard as that is to admit. And it’s waaaay too vague and situation dependent. I need something simple and clear cut that doesn’t require a lot of thought to execute.My daughter thinks a token system is stupid, so that won’t work unless she buys into it. She has an attitude, so she says that about most things we try.Time-outs or simply having house rules with consequences (some of which seem arbitrary) don’t seem to be popular practices anymore. And besides, my time-outs just seem to make my kids more upset and they trash their rooms or something.What am I supposed to do??? What does everyone else do when their kids break the rules? What do you do when your kids won’t stop hitting each other, making messes that they refuse to clean up, get into things that are off limits, or just in general disobeying or refusing to listen? via /r/Parenting http://bit.ly/2WmoWEe

No comments:

Post a Comment