Thursday 27 December 2018

What to do when it's not the kids who are addicted to screens, it's the grandparents??


Every time we have a family gathering, whether it's just my daughter or my siblings' kids too, my dad & stepmom are just totally disengaged. They sit on their devices - stepmom on her iPad, dad on his phone. The kids want to play with their grandparents! Especially at Christmas, when there is so much new to explore. My daughter wanted to play a card game with her grandpa but he said no, not right now, and continued poking away at his phone. (This is not the only example.) I just don't understand it. It makes me sad both for my daughter, who's missing quality grandparent time, and for her grandparents, who are missing out on her childhood. We only see them maybe 4 times a year because we don't live close.Is this what modern-day grandparenting looks like? Does anyone else have experiences like this? Should I try to gently bring it up, or just let them have the relationship they want? It starts to feel like a waste of time to even go visit, and I hate feeling like that! via /r/Parenting http://bit.ly/2Vdgt5S

No comments:

Post a Comment