Saturday 29 December 2018

Child not brushing teeth at father’s house


I have 2 children, 8 & 10. I’m divorced from their father, and he’s historically been a pretty lazy “Disney dad” type of dad. One of the biggest struggles I’ve had is that he doesn’t care to follow up with some of the kid responsibilities and in this particular problem, he doesn’t make sure that the kids are brushing their teeth. This past week while they stayed there, my 10 year old son stayed up until 6 AM and only slept until 9 AM on the last day, and did not brush his teeth the entire week he was there. I can deal with the staying up late, even though I do feel it’s going a little far. But the brushing teeth thing drives me absolutely crazy. The father has terrible teeth, and both of the kids have already had cavities. My 10 yr old just recently had a very uncomfortable dentist visit with 3 cavities filled and cried during due to the Novocain etc. I do feel like the 10 year old should be able to remember to go brush his teeth, but it’s his father’s responsibility to make sure he gets up and does it every day. He’s going to have them for the entire summer and the thought of my son going that long without brushing teeth just infuriates me. I’ve talked to their dad about it every single time it’s happened. And talked to my son about the importance of it, about the possibility of having his teeth pulled with silver teeth put in, etc. Besides what I’ve done already, is there anything else that can be thought of? Or is this just something I have to live with and deal with? via /r/Parenting http://bit.ly/2RlyRKE

No comments:

Post a Comment