Sunday 30 December 2018

Child doesnt respond to traditional discipline of a reward system or of taking away privileges/toys/activities. Also is a TOTAL slob despite constant reminders/trouble. ...I grew up with abuse, so I don’t have any good parenting examples. I Need Advice!


Child (F/9.5) is a complete slob. Ie, once done eating immediately forgets to clean up. Wanders away (I suspect she has some attention deficit disorder but nothing confirmed. )Tried reward system but she forgets about it. Useless.Tried removing privileges/activities. She rebounds and forgets them. Useless.Tried removing all messes via a trash bag that she can ‘earn back’... she just created another mess, resulting in a second full trash bag (which are currently standing in the middle of my bedroom... because they are mostly Christmas gifts, and I canNOT throw out the gifts that people took the time and $ to purchase. I can’t do that to the family. They were gifts given out of love. I would feel horrible doing that, like shitting on the family’s hard earned money) . Useless.She is very defiant, even to her dad who she states is really scary.The Only thing that matters to her is her dance classes. But we’ve already reduced her dancing As punishment, and that was short lived. Ie, quickly forgotten.Dance is not an option to remove; She is extremely talented (skipping classes etc), and at this particular age it’s extra important for kids to hAve team activities and structure. I feel at this age she is getting a Huge developmental and skill benefit from dance. I can’t take her out , it would completely ruin her progress and set her behind her contemporaries forever. i am convinced that dance is the way to keep her relatively out of trouble as she approaches teen ageI know this seems silly to ask for advice on Reddit , but I just don’t know where to even stArt. And as I grew up abused, i know I can’t use the examples of how my parents handled problems such as this. I’m still traumatized and don’t want my daughter to live with that via /r/Parenting http://bit.ly/2EU4UeM

No comments:

Post a Comment