Sunday 30 December 2018

Anyone ever successfully made peace with their MIL?


I understand a lot of people will tell me to post this in JustNoMIL but I find if I do then a lot of the comments are just mean and not constructive advice. So, I am posting here.A little backstory: I have a 17 month old son and another boy on the way at the end of April. My MIL (husband's bio mom) moved in with us when my son was born so she could care for him when I went back to work 3 days a week. We thought it would be a really convenient and money saving decision for both sides.Unfortunately, his mother turned out to be an incredibly passive-aggressive and mean person. She constantly criticized me: where I put furniture in my home, the type of sheets I had on the guest bed, why I wasn't making my husband dinner every night of the week (and when I did, she would have a problem with what I was making), how I chose to breastfeed, how I chose to take care of my son...the list goes on.She is really good with my son even though she basically ignores my instructions. I physically had to hide the bottles when I wanted him to transition to a sippy cup, I had to hide his blankets because she would put him to sleep with a blanket over his face when he was just weeks old. Despite my problems with her, my son adores her and even cries when I take him away from her.We are selling our house and moving in the spring (close to my due date). She understands she is not coming with us. We have a small family so I want my son to have a relationship with her so I feel like I need to reconcile our differences and get over how she treats me. Has anyone successfully done this before? If so, how? I am having such a hard time with forgiveness right now. Every time I see her face or hear her voice I just feel so much rage. I can't even bear to make eye contact with her it stresses me out so much. Please help.Tl;dr: My MIL and I have serious problems. How do I make up with her so that I don't ruin the relationship she has with my son? via /r/Parenting http://bit.ly/2BMJfRZ

No comments:

Post a Comment