Sunday 30 December 2018

Father of 17 yo son who snuck out 4 months ago


I posted on here about 4 months ago and received a fair bit of criticism for my actions and I would like to give an update as to what progressed.My son did write the one-page essay as I asked. He did not give any solutions as to how he would rebuild my trust, instead, he basically said the same as many of the comments on my last post stated. He stated that he would apply to colleges soon and if I would not respect him "so be it I only have to deal with that for less than a year." I realized that maybe you all were right and I was way too harsh on a 17 yo man. While we are still not talking a lot some things have smoothed out a bit. He got his car back in September, so not a year without a car just a month. He got his phone back, but we will still use Life360 to keep an eye on his location. We did get to meet his girlfriend and my wife invited her to our family Christmas party. I still don't know her all that well and I am still rather upset he didn't tell us about her sooner. I do not believe that he has snuck out again but I have no way of knowing for sure because he's a really smart kid that I believe can find workarounds for Life360. He finished his college applications and he made me proud with those. He submitted 8 applications, top three are Georgia Tech, Texas A&M, and Minnesota twin cities. He's gotten 6 acceptance letters and he's just waiting to hear back from GT and Purdue. Overall, I am proud of my son but I am upset with actions. I made this post to let everyone who was/is concerned informed as to what resulted.Edit: link to first part: http://bit.ly/2ThUfxS via /r/Parenting http://bit.ly/2QXFPWY

No comments:

Post a Comment