Saturday 29 December 2018

Enforcing home rules at other homes...


It comes up every year at the holidays. We'll be visiting relatives with kids at similar ages to our own and they will have very different home rules. The ones that came up today were about telling and interrupting.At my sister in laws house, it is acceptable for their kids to start yelling "Mommy Mommy Mommy!" At the top of their voice while two adults are talking. And their mom will just ignore them, pick up her own voice, and finish her own sentence and then calmly turn to the kid and say "yes dear? What do you want?"Now, I'm really not paying here looking for people to judge my sister in laws parenting. I love her and her kids. The problem is that, after some time at their house, my kids start doing the same stuff even though it is strictly forbidden at our home and they are very good about following that rule.So what do you do? I'm obviously not going to scold their children. But scolding just my children, especially in front of the other parents, seems passive aggressive.At the same time, I feel weird just letting my kids misbehave when they are at someone else's house... via /r/Parenting http://bit.ly/2EVNxdD

No comments:

Post a Comment