Friday 28 December 2018

A lesson never too early to learn or too early? - A conversation with my single mother roommate about her son


Quick background of the situation. We're both in our early 20s, I left the house for personal business and received a Facebook message from one of my friends that someone on my Xbox was joining parties cussing at my friends. I have a roommate who is a single mother of a 7 year old and I normally let him play my Xbox while I'm out. Tonight her sister dropped off two of her kids for my roommate to watch. This is is a conversation with her following after the message I received from my friend and I'm curious about what other parents thoughts on this are. (I'll admit I was initially upset) lolMe - "Can you take my controller from whoever's on my fucking xbox? Cussing out my friends is totally bullshit. That's not cool."Her - "He wasn't talking to ur friends is what he told me. And if he was talking to ur friend I'm sorry I was outside with my sister... also is it that serious? I understand it's ur Xbox. Heads up it wasn't Kaiden it was Riyle."Me - "It's not serious, I couldn't care less, but it's about respect. If you're using someone else's stuff and you start treating it like shit, what do you expect to happen? You don't get to use it again is what happens. And in the aspect that little kids are cursing at strangers, yeah, it's serious. What is that supposed to teach them? Little kids absorb absolutely everything, they might forget about it but that's a boundary that was crossed and if it's not put back in place it just continues and gets worse. I'm not trying to tell you how to take care of them, but that's my stuff and I'm going to be firm with my boundaries, if I'm not they will assume they can get away with it and continue to do it. Also, what if it wasn't one of my friends? That would make me look bad, would you want Kaden messaging random people on your phone being rude? Or even worse, those people they're cursing at could report me and have my account muted for an entire month or possibly worse. Calling people faggots is a hate crime and people literally get banned from Xbox for doing that, it could even be reported to authorities is it's severe enough. So yeah, actually it is kinda serious."Her - "Idk what to say besides it was my bad nephew causing trouble. He's not on it anymore because he brought his own game system."Me - "There's not really anything to say."Her - "I understand ur pissed but understand I didn't know about it and I don't know why your so worked up about it"Me - "I'm not pissed. Lol The only reason I made a big deal out of it is because when your borrowing or using someone's stuff, you're responsible for it. That's an important lesson and if I didn't at least try to show him it, I would be doing a disservice to him. I learned that lesson at a very young age, my birthday was coming up and my friend let me borrow his Playstation and although my Dad warned me, I accidentally broke it. Well, my dad was buying me one for my Birthday and I'm sure you can guess who that Xbox went to. That's a lesson that one can never learn too early, but can learn too late. It's a lesson that not only helps them in life, but helps start to develop their character. I know what it's like to be a single child to a single parent, and I didn't have a mother figure growing up until my teens. I hope you took my advice and took the controller from him, because opportunities to give life lessons to anyone are rare. Either way though, I hope you don't feel like I'm trying to tell you how to raise your son, I just figured that well we're roommates I could try to be the father figure he doesn't have."Please excuse my errors, I just copied and pasted and was originally in a rush and didn't care. Lol via /r/Parenting http://bit.ly/2Q99RBA

No comments:

Post a Comment