Saturday 29 October 2016

What do you do when you see another parent hitting their child?


Yesterday I was in the toy section of a shop with my son and saw a mother yelling at her daughter, threatening to smack her if she didn't come back . The girl was maybe 3 years old, and had seen something she wanted to play with. You know, normal kid stuff.Mum yells until the kid comes back, then grabs her by the arm to spin her around and whacks her angrily on the bum. Kid is bawling, with tears and snot running down her face. Mum tells kid "if you were good, I wouldn't have to smack you" and they leave.This wasn't "discipline". She hit the kid in anger, and then blamed it on the kid.I froze. I watched a tiny, scared human be hurt by the person who was supposed to protect and nurture her. And I didn't do anything about it.I don't know if there's anything I could have done. I'm still new at parenting. My kid is still happy sitting in his stroller, so I haven't been in her position. I couldn't risk my baby's safety by starting a confrontation, and I didn't want to escalate things.Reddit, how would you have handled the situation? via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2eQd4os

No comments:

Post a Comment