Monday 31 October 2016

Well, turns out I broke my 1yo daughter's jaw.


You know those plastic little tikes swings, with the swing-up bar and over-the-shoulder straps? I'm sure nobody thinks it's a good idea to let your kids swing unbuckled, but here's a story demonstrating the thrilling possibilities.We had another family over for dinner on Friday the 21st. The two moms left for a church ladies retreat, leaving two dads and 4 kids. My 1yo and the other 7yo girl are mutually enamored with each other. The 7yo helped my daughter into the swing and "buckled" her in. Cute little pushes ensued, without incident.My daughter is a bit of a thrill seeker so asked to be pushed "fast!" So, without checking her buckles, I pulled her up over my head, pushed her down, and out she came. The overall effect was much like I picked her up over my head and body-slammed her facedown on the concrete.At first I thought I had killed her...then the screaming and bleeding started. Split chin, pools of blood in her mouth, at least two chipped teeth, and an obviously crooked bite were what I noticed immediately. Off to the urgent care! They stitched up her chin, checked her jaw (not broken, they said) and sent us home.We went to the doctor on Monday just so they could check the gashes in her mouth and make sure everything was healing OK. They recommended we see a pediatric dentist about the misalignment. They checked her jaw and joints and again, said it wasn't broken. The dentist agreed - not broken, joints swell and make things go out of alignment. She said let's wait a week for things to heal up a little, then take some x-rays to be sure. The rest of last week was fine. Her stitches came out, bruising all went away, her bite was even looking a little bit less crooked.We went for the x-rays today. Broken jaw, right between her lower right canine and lateral incisor. Off to the oral surgeon we go, tomorrow afternoon.Anybody else dealt with jaw injuries/surgeries with toddlers? I'm kind of a wreck...couldn't even go 5 minutes on my own without seriously injuring one of my kids. via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2f2quRf

No comments:

Post a Comment