Friday 28 October 2016

Venting - kids and addiction to constant stimulation


Tl;dr - Kids can't seem to be happy unless they are preoccupied with constant external stimulation and it's frustrating.I have an 8 year old boy. I know this kid is way too dependent on wanting to play video games and watch TV for fun. I limit him from any screen time during the week, because he would do nothing else given the opportunity. He's become relatively good at entertaining himself when I'm busy (I work from home). In short, I see a problem and take steps to deal with it.So he and his best friend had a sleepover at our place last night. I decided to take them to eat breakfast in the morning but told them they couldn't bring their portable electronics. They literally called it torture, lol. So afterwards, I took them with me to do some shoe shopping for a job I'm starting, and you'd think I was ruining the other kid's life.Anyways, I've noticed a lot of parents these days bring electronic devices to places with them to keep their kids occupied, especially restaurants. I purposely don't do that with my son (I like bonding, talking, etc...). I've done this since he was really little.I don't have any specific questions or words of wisdom to share in this post. I guess I intend on it being a combination of venting and maybe a discussion starter. via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2ePE9ej

No comments:

Post a Comment