Monday 31 October 2016

RANT - Daughter wants to go home because kids are making fun of her costume


Rant incoming!Ever since watching The Force Awakens my 10 year old daughter has been fascinated with Rey and she knew she wanted to dress up as her for Halloween. It's a pretty simple costume but we added some accessories (we made the belt together) to spruce it up. I even took the time to learn how to do her hair since I knew that her mom would be working today. She was so excited to go to school dressed up and she even asked if she could bring on of my lightsabers since Rey had on at the end of the movie. I sadly had to tell her no so she settled on bring her staff. Here's a pic we took last night when she was trying everything on.Rey with Luke's lightsaberI get a text from her and she says that everyone is making fun of her costume. "Are you a mummy? Are you an explorer? Are you wearing toilet paper?" No one recognized her and when she tried to explain who she was they just looked at her like she was a crazy person and continued to make fun of her. It got to the point where she asked me if she could just go home. We texted a bit more and i told her that as long as she's happy with her costume that's all that matters and to try to just ignore the comments. She then texts me this:http://ift.tt/2fa4DUc love her reply and proud about her attitude about it but it also makes me a bit sad that she had to ask "is it because he's a boy?" Now this is the geeky side talking but Rey is arguable the star of the damn movie. She's a female character in the lead who doesn't need rescuing or saving. The other kid is apparently dressed up as Kylo Ren but in the movie Rey kicked his ass! ERG!Now my daughter just started this school as we recently moved. It's a very good and highly rated school but the majority of the families that go to this school are very...uppity. A lot of the kids act like entitled, privileged brats with no manners and no respect. We moved to the area thinking we could provide a better life for our kids but I'm really starting to regret the move. It would be one thing if the rudeness was a one-time thing but it happens quite a bit according to my daughter. We don't step in and we try to try to encourage her to ignore it. As long as she's happy with who she is then that's all that matters, etc, but this is the first time she's asked to go home even though she ultimately said she'll deal. I'm a bit stuck as to what to do. I don't want to seem like an overprotective parent because some kids didn't like her Halloween costume but I'm also partly tempted to pull the race card because I think these entitled little shits should learn some manners.UGH. via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2es1lff

No comments:

Post a Comment