Friday 28 October 2016

Do I bring my son say goodbye to his grandfather before he passes?


My father (83yo) has been sick for a while and I know that this was a long time coming. This past week he fell in the bathroom and was on bed rest until today when he got admitted to the hospital and I've been told he has pneumonia. Logically I know this was coming but its not easy for anyone. This post is not about my feelings though.My parents live three hours away and my husband and I will likely be heading up this weekend. I'm not sure how much longer dad has, so we will likely have to say our goodbyes during this time.My son is seven years old. Save for the death of the family dog when he was four, he has not really been exposed to death. When our dog passed, we explained that she is gone from earth and in heaven now but even to this day he keeps her name in his prayers and still asks us questions like "Is [dog] still in heaven? Will i see her again? What is she doing up there? Why is she there? Why can't she still be alive?" Etc.Son also has anxiety issues. He is currently seeing a professional a few times a month (no medication just a safe environment where he can discuss concerns/fears/etc to a third party who helps us communicate and understand his feelings). Son struggles with being left with sitter during date nights and expresses fear of Husband and I leaving and not coming back.Son also is not incredibly close with my father. Dad is a quiet man who has had Parkinson's since long before Son was born. He is kind to Son, but does not spend undue amount of time bonding with him. Dad prefers watching TV and being alone.Which brings me to my title question: Do I bring Son with us to say goodbye? He is old enough to at least grasp the concept of death but I dont even know how to begin to explain it at this age. Part of me feels he has a right to say goodbye and maybe that will provide a sort of closure or better understanding of how death works but I'm concerned it will increase his anxiety of saying goodbye to Husband and I- as well as a potential fear of hospitals which is where the goodbye would take place. I am at a crossroads and could use some advice. Thank you for reading. via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2f10HoE

No comments:

Post a Comment