Monday 31 October 2016

My wife has a [19F] teen who doesn't do anything or leave the house. Locks her bedroom door. Won't answer or open it when my wife tries to talk to her. This has been going on for several months now.


I just got married last May. My wife whom I've known for 25 years before we started dating and got engaged moved here from Mexico with her 18 year old and 12 year old daughters. She asked the 18 year old if she wanted to join us in California, or stay home in Mexico, get a job and start living on her own. She opted to join her mother here. So my wife and her daughters joined me here last April. The plan was that her 18 year old would go to college and probably get a part time job to give her some income. Since we got here, she just stays in her room all the time. She never leaves the room. Her behavior has been getting worse and worse. Now she's even shushing her mom, she won't unlock and open her bedroom door when her mother addresses her. I had a talk with the daughter, with her mother present, and I told her it's time for her to start taking classes, get a job or both. That she's 19 years old now and it's up to her to start making decisions for herself. We took her to an adult education center where she was supposed to sign up for English classes, we told her she needed to do it. Well...- I found out to day that she never signed up for the classes. I told my wife it's time to give her the choice, go out tomorrow and start looking for a job or school, or I buy her a bus ticket back to her country. She has know where to go or live, her Grandparents and her Brother already said they have no room for her at their house and so she really has no options. I just don't get her behavior. She has no problems using my internet, water, gas, eating the food I buy and she just won't leave the house or make an effort. I guess my questions is threatening to kick her out too much? Am I going to far? What would you recommend? TL;DR 19 year old step daughter never leaves the house, never leaves her room, doesn't have a job, doesn't go to school, aimless and no motivation, and now she's getting sassy with her mother. What do I do? via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2dWTPwl

No comments:

Post a Comment