Monday 31 October 2016

Son's friends are telling me he is bullying them; nervous to bring it up with him. Advice?


This my first post here so please be a little patient. Just a little background:My wife of twelve years and I live in Washington state and our son is in the 4th grade at a pubic elementary school.My wife seems to be able to deal with private conversations with our son much better than I've ever been able to. I don't have a short temper, but needless to say I have a lot to worry about with work and sometimes I'm just not all there; physically and mentally for him. This year I made a pact to try to spend as much of my time off as possible with him: go to the park, watch movies with him, etc.A few days ago (Saturday) my son and his two male friends came over. Let's call them Joseph and Tommy. They've both been at our house before multiple times, but we've never met their parents. My son and Tommy were in our backyard playing soccer, during which I was in the kitchen reading some files from work. i made the usual small talk with the boys, but Joseph came in to use the bathroom. After he came back out I could sense he was hesitating a bit and I looked over. I asked him if everything was alright and he kind of sulked, looking down.I realized it was serious and that's when he unloaded everything on me. Joseph told me for about 10 straight minutes, crying midway through, that my son has been acting very inappropriately and teasing him in front of his other friends at school. Not casual haha teasing, really nasty and disgusting stuff. Suff like "you're gay; your hair looks like an ice cream cone of shit; you're not going to play soccer with us anymore you toad".This is all disturbing to me and I haven't brought it up with my son yet. Should I speak to him first, or Joseph's parents? How would you approach this? Please any advice is appreciated. Thanks! via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2dWWnuK

No comments:

Post a Comment