
I found out recently that my mother and father in law plan to leave a house they purchased a while back as an inheritance to our daughter, their granddaugher, who is currently one year old. We can rent out the house to pay for its maintenance and maybe have enough for some profit until our daughter is of age and responsible enough to take ownership. But we are not to sell the house because it is for our daughter. My wife said they don't really plan to leave her or her sister anything big as an inheritance.This just seems a little strange to me. When I asked my wife their reasoning, she said:She doesn't feel it's strange. Her parents have already provided for her, including her education. They want to leave something behind for their grandkids. They have one other grandkid for which they are also leaving behind another house they are currently living in.Her parents are financially successful and are getting older to where they are thinking abiut what they want to leave behind.They also come from a middle to uooer class from a poor country and my wife tells me saving and passing on inheritances to grandkids is ingrained in them.I find it strange and have some concern because: - It seems like the whole arrangement borders on parents in law not ttusting my wife to do the right thing for our daughter. But i do understand their concern that we not use the money for ourselves. - Both my wife and her parents have talked about the house being left behind to our daughter as being "our daughter's (name) house." For a one year old. Though my wife and I do agree not saying that in front of our daughter and not even telling her it was left as an inheritance until she is old enough and responsible enough. - We live frugally and believe in helping others in need and I want to pass that on to our daughter.- I guess it annoys me a but also that this wasn't something that MIL, FIL, wife, and I really discussed. When we did talk about in passing, it was posed as something they were going to do, just so I know. I guess you know it's their money and all. - Perhaps the biggest red flag I am burying a bit is that I feel there is potential for this to be used to manipulate my wife and I or our daughter. There has been one decision on when/how often to visit her parents (15 or so hour flight) with our daughter (not at a good air travel age) where my wife implied that we don't want to get out of the good graces of her parents and lose our daughter's inheritance. That bugged me as I don't even care about that if they really would be petty enough to make a decision based on that. I am not sure if that implication cane from her parents.- Outside of that, my relationship with her parents is good, especially the MIL. I know they love our daughter. MIL helped take care of her the first 3 months and FIL loves pkaying with her when they visit.TL;DR - My wife's aging parents plan to leave a big inheritance for our daughter, with cetain conditions, and I'm worried this whole thing may be a bad idea because it could be used to manipulate us and/or will hinder our raising our daughter up with good values not centered on material wealth. via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/2V0CDb7
No comments:
Post a Comment