
This is kind of long. Also I read the rules and they didn’t seem to have super strict guidelines so I’m sorry if this is done incorrectly. I had my first mama bear moment this past weekend and it took me for a ride.My son is six years old and he has made a friend recently. This boy is great. They play and do boy things together and I love that for him. They get along great and the little boy never gives us any trouble.There is another boy who lives across the road. He is 13. I thought it odd he wanted to play with a six and eight year old but whatever let them play right? The only time my son and his friend fight is when they go over there. I thought something was up with that but I wasn’t there and maybe they were just having a spat. I noticed my son would act more “macho” (for lack of a better term) when he’d come home from there. Again, I didn’t want to blame everyone’s kid but my own. So I dealt with him and left the other kids to their parents.This last Sunday they came running home and my son had red marks on his face and was crying. This 13 year old boy had held my SIX YEAR OLD down and punched him in the face then put him in a headlock and punched him in the stomach repeatedly. when I got the full story out of them I told my son that he was not off the hook for slinging his jacket at the boy first. But at that point I was seeing red. I am not a confrontational person and most of the time prefer to let things go. But I was bullied growing up and my dad just told me to ignore it and it would go away. It did not.I am proud to say that my anger did not get the best of me. I was shaking like a leaf but I didn’t curse the boy or his dad a single time. I was able to work it out with the dad and he is punishing his son.When I got to their house the boy was in the yard and this was our discussion.Me: are your parents home?Boy: no. Listen he hit me with his jacket first.Me: I am aware and I will deal with that but you are thirteen years old and he is six. I need to speak with your parents.Boy: I’m going to call the cops get off my property.My boyfriend: good we can tell them all about how you assaulted our six year old.Boy: F*** you B****!Me: go get your parents or I willBoy: curses and throws a stick at me I’m recording you! Your on camera.Me: did your camera get the footage of you beating up a kid half your size?Boy: more expletivesHe finally got his dad. His dad apologized and said he would be punishing him. I thanked him for the apology and shook his hand and told him I think it’s best if they don’t play anymore.When I got home I calmed down. I told my son that what he did cannot be excused no matter how out of line the other boy was. I told him that none of their actions are how you treat friends. I asked him and his best friend if they liked being treated that way. They said no. I asked if that’s how they wanted to treat other people and they said no again. I said that that was good and that they should take this bad experience and learn from it. Now they know what not to do to a friend. I was angry beyond belief but I hope that something can be gained from it. My son has always been big and strong for his age (yes since birth) and I want him to be responsible about it. I want him to defend the weak and take care of himself. I’m raising a person, not a child and I can only hope he hears my words and takes them to heart. via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/2K0z4R3
No comments:
Post a Comment