Wednesday, 3 April 2019

My 19 year old son is paranoid, obsessive, depressed... and believes he's fine.


I have a son that lives a few hours away. We talk often and see each other several times a year for extended periods. Up until age 16 he was your average skateboarding kid. Then he started doing a few odd things, like only eating bananas, that eventually built up into him being now pretty different from the average 19 year old. I love him, and I try to be patient and not bossy since he's technically an adult, but he needs help and won't accept it.​He won't eat any food or even water from a grocery store because of chemicals from plastic and from pesticides. He's skinny as a rail and has aches and pains. He eats a lot of found mushrooms and plants. I'm concerned he may be unintentionally eating some that are not healthy. I'm positive he isn't getting the right amount of protein, etc. He has obsessively taken up gardening and wants to live off what he eats, which is cool but takes time and canning supplies and knowledge. He occasionally will say things like planes are flying over his house every night spraying crops with chemicals and chemtrails. He also feels light bulbs are bad for you.​He doesn't trust doctors or medicine. He has some serious depression and anxiety and paranoia that could use treatment. He talks a lot about how certain plants can 'cure' cancer. I try to show him that he's right, some of those plants are used in treatments, but that they don't 'cure' it like he thinks. He doesn't trust any major medical organization so it doesn't matter how much proof I can provide, they are in a conspiracy.​He does not want to get an hourly job or go to college. He only wants to do odd jobs or collect scrap metal or sell watermelons on the side of the road. He is lucky to make 20 bucks a day and spend most of that on gas. He wants to live in the wild, off the grid, in a home made shelter. Money is a constant concern for him, but he still believes he doesn't need money or material things. He lives with his mom because I've always insisted that he try to earn enough to support himself, and eventually move out, if he stays with me. I'd also insist he got professional help and took whatever meds they said to take. He says job stands for Just Over Broke, but he scrapes by on 10% of what he would make at McDonald's.​He doesn't have social skills. It is difficult to talk to him because he is very self centered and monopolizes the conversation, always going into 20 minute monologues. He is only in the conversation to teach the other person, often to the point of ignoring things the other person is saying. It's difficult to have children in the room with him because he will boldly start indoctrinating them with conspiracy theory and sometimes improper topics like murder and things that in general scare the kids. He enjoys talking to kids, because everyone else winds up walking away from him, but it's not always good for those kids. He can be super sweet too, he always wants to teach kids how to skateboard or how to fish.​He believes the government, the food industry, schools, and doctors are all in a conspiracy to kill people.. He has said something about the government spying on him several times. He has once said Mars was spying on him, once said he was a god. Most recently he got caught outside by the neighbors when he was naked, because he felt like his penis area needed some healing sunlight. Then he smashed his mom's tv out of anger and drove off... still naked. They were able to get him treated against his will for a few days, and even got him to take some medicine but he stopped taking it the day they released him.​Mostly at this point I'm hoping time and experience will help my son. I broke into a pharmacy and went to jail at his age. Time and learning hard lessons helped me straighten out. But I always believed that it was partially because I had an absentee drunk dad and that being a good father would save my kid from this. I wish I could get him to see a physician and a psychiatrist. I wish I could get him to eat a salad and drink a bottle of water. I wish he would take the medicine doctors tell him to take. I've probably tried everything you will offer, but I'm curious about your opinions. I'm just trying to be supportive but not enabling, truthful but not condescending, encouraging but not demanding and most of all loving.​​ via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/2CP0TFS

No comments:

Post a Comment