Monday, 21 August 2017

Please help me stop freaking out at my toddler in the morning


So 97% of the time, I manage to speak in a normal tone of voice to my toddler (2.5) when she's made a big mess or in trouble for hitting me with a toy or whatever.The other 3% of the time, I yell and I hate it. It's not controlled parent yelling, it's guttural rage and frustration. I'm 6 months pregnant and my husband has worked a lot of overtime lately, so it's frequently just me and her. This morning (husband has been gone since Saturday night) she got into some nail polish as I was getting ready to leave for work and I yelled at her to stay out of my bedroom. Mostly, I leave the door shut, but she is constantly trying to get in and poke though all my drawers. It took 10 minutes to clean her up and I was late to work. I yelled and then she immediately got scared (because it IS scary when I get that angry/frustrated) and started to cry for Dad and then I started to cry because I felt so bad. Basically I ruined my own day and taught her nothing.I've tried to hard to get mornings to go smoothly because I know that's when I tend to be stressed and I don't know what else to do. The last time I got really angry (sometimes in the spring?) and slammed a door I don't even remember what she did, but it was while we were trying to leave the house in the morning. I know it's not okay and it scares her, but in that moment, I feel so much pressure and anger and rage that I really just want to break shit.I lay out everything and prep everything the night before, but she is always awake within minutes of me waking up. Even if I try to get up half an hour early, she hears me and gets out of bed. A white noise machine did not help. I tried an Ok-to-Wake clock, but she just presses the button so it lights up and then bangs on her door until we let her out (or wakes me if i leave her door open). At this point I'm half-tempted to lock her in her room until 6:45 so I can get fully ready before getting her ready.tl;dr Books suggestions? Morning suggestions? I hate feeling that way and it's so much worse since I got pregnant. via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2vid4Vg

No comments:

Post a Comment