
I grew up in a long line of obese people. It is really up one line and clear that there is a genetic issue. It is up the Irish/American Indian line. These people will live to their 90's or more but, obese, despite good diet and exercise. For me, I have been diagnosed with Hashimotos and PCOS. My great grandma died at almost 100 years old, about 300 pounds. She grew up in the Great Depression and worked the farm while raising several children. She barely had food. She did not have the benefit of medical advances like we do these days to have known she likely had the same issues as I have.ANYWAY, I have always been very active and had a good diet. However, my husband, who grew up in a naturally skinny (but less healthy) family, and he was adopted so he did not get their genes, grew up around people who would gorge and eat pizza and fast food and soda and alcoholic beverages all the time. My only beverages are milk and water. I like to keep a basket of fresh fruit available to the kids all the time. My husband keeps putting the fresh fruit up stating the kids will just get in to it. Then he gets angry when the fruit goes bad and demands that I no longer buy it. Meanwhile, he buys stuff like chips and leaves that out for the kids to freely eat.Last night, husband cooked dinner. He decided on lasagna. He made two pans of lasagna. Then he proceeded to serve up pieces to the kids that were about 3 inches by 4 inches. This includes to the child who is only 37 pounds and the child who is only 26 pounds. I was personally frustrated to realize the groceries were about $74. This is a huge waste of money! Then I cringed while watching him tell the kids to eat their food. And when our 200 pound 5'8 15 yr old son went for seconds, I just did not want to be present anymore.When I try to discretely speak to my husband about it, he gets angry. He makes statements like "at least I made dinner! I just won't ever cook again!" Ummm...I make dinner too. And clean, and everything else. Making dinner is not an excuse to destroying the children's lives by encouraging them to gorge.I am thinking this battle might be something worth being the hill to die on. Next time my husband wants to make 2 pans of lasagna for 5 children, I should step in and say no, not happening and stopping it.Am I overreacting? I do not think I am. What would you do? via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2wjXFYN
No comments:
Post a Comment