Sunday, 21 May 2017

Reeling from latest in-law visit


My MIL visits once a year in the Spring. She came down for 5 days this year. LO normally goes to daycare Th and F when I work. I asked MIL if she would be interested in watching LO for 3 hours in the morning (930-1230) on Th and F instead of putting her into daycare. After all, she was down here to visit and see her grandbaby. She said yes and was excited to spend some one on one time with her. So I go ahead and rebook the sitter for alternate days, and make arrangements for my hubby to work half days so he could come home at 1230 to relieve MIL.Fast forward to Thursday. Hubby's left for work at 5am. I wake up at 7 to a velcro child who cried every time she was put down when I needed two hands to do something. Trying to get me dressed, get LO dressed, changed, and fed, and the dogs out and fed. MIL sat downstairs sitting on the couch knitting a hat THE ENTIRE TIME. Fast forward to 15 minutes before I'm supposed to leave, MIL starts on me, "Where's the stroller? Make sure it's set up and out for me because I don't know how to use it! Did you check the weather for today? What's it going to be like? When is hubby coming home again? Where is the monitor? Did you put sunscreen on LO?" Worthy of note, SHE bought me my stroller and it's the same one she uses without issue for her other grandbabies back home. That and when she asked me if I checked the weather today, she was sitting right in front of her damn tablet.I just look at this woman and I'm like "I haven't had a chance to sit down at the computer today, mum. You'll have to look up the weather yourself. I will text you when hubby will be home. The monitor is right by your tablet. I haven't put sunscreen on her, I have no time."I run upstairs to brush my teeth, smooth my hair, and run out the door to work. Forgot my lunch. Fabulous.I get home and I get the story from hubby that he came home at 1, and MIL greets him from the couch where she's sitting knitting again, "So I put LO in her crib with her bottle at 10, I don't know where the monitor is, and I don't know how long she's slept or if she's still sleeping now."Hubby runs up to grab LO - her face is blotchy and snotty as hell cause she's been crying for awhile.WTF. This woman has raised three children. Did it not occur to her that maybe a little bit of help in the morning would have been appreciated? Or that the monitor was RIGHT NEXT TO HER FREAKING TABLET? And if she couldn't find the monitor, to CHECK ON THE BABY?? We have a tiny house - how did she NOT hear LO crying? For the love of everything sacred, HOW?! She's not hard of hearing and LO is a screamer when she's pissed...Needless to say - we paid for a half day for the sitter to take LO the next day, and MIL got to sit at home by herself for 3 hours knitting and surfing the net on her tablet. MIL was quite put out by it but I don't freaking care. via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2rsbCSi

No comments:

Post a Comment