
A couple years ago my mother downsized into a small lakefront two-story home. You enter the home and it's a kitchen/bedrooms then you go down a flight of stairs and that's where the living room is. The issue is the stairs. There's no handrail or guard so on one side is a wall, on the other ... nothing. A 10+ foot drop to hard tile. The stairs are also newer laminate wood so there's no grip.Simply put, the stairs terrify me. It wasn't a huge issue when I lived cross country but I've recently moved back to the area and mom has made a lot of noise about playing granny nanny whenever we need her. I've spoken with my brother, who also has toddler-aged kids, and he's in agreement: grandma can come over for sitting but dropping them off is a no-go because one unsupervised moment on those stairs could result in major trauma.We've dropped hints about it but so far the home improvement projects she's done (build an outdoor canopy, mud/drywall in a new closet) haven't touched the issue. I'd be cool with paying/installing a runner and guard rail myself but I'm just not sure how you ask someone if they'll let you work on their home? via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2nYrHK8
No comments:
Post a Comment