Tuesday, 21 March 2017

I have a 16 year old son with autism. I feel like a failure for not being able to toilet train him his whole life but someone who's known him for all of 6 months could.


My son is 16 years old and has autism and is nonverbal. He's in a high needs special education class where he has a new paraeducator who has been working with him one on one since the beginning of the year.I have always dreamed of my son being able to let me know when he needs to go to the bathroom. It's something my husband and I have been working on for years and years with no success. A couple months ago, his paraeducator informed us he started using sign language to let her know when he needs to go to the bathroom. This is the main form of communication we tried when attempting to toilet train. No success.He has now been doing it at home and does it pretty consistently with very few accidents. I'm beyond thrilled as this has always been something my husband and I wanted for him. I've been telling his teachers and paras since he was little that it's something I'd like him to work on. His new para is amazing, she does so much for him. I'm so happy he has her in his life and I can tell she works really hard with him. And even though I'm so very happy about his progress, I also feel like a failure. Both my husband and I do. His para is either in her early or mid twenties with no kids of her own and she was able to do something we've been working on for years. Am I right to feel this way? via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2nM7SpV

No comments:

Post a Comment