
My daughter (13) has started developing breasts and is not always covering them up. Most recently she was playing video games topless with a bunch of kids (boys) over. Since I'm so comfortable with nudity myself I have a hard time gauging how her friends' parents would react to this (the kids seemed unfazed) and that's why I need your input.Basically, she's a tomboy and has taken off her t shirt playing basketball outside hot summer days when the boys have. Until now she has had an undeveloped body and nobody has paid any attention to it, especially not as she has a short haircut and wears plain classic jeans. She's been mistaken for a boy a lot.At home we walk around in underwear while brushing our teeth and getting ready in the mornings. Breasts are not always covered, but I've always set the example to cover mine up whenever we have guests or go outside. The boys (her step dad and brother age 12) mostly cover theirs up as well when we are in public but not as strictly as I do.When they were playing video games her brother and their friends had also taken their t-shirts off. We live in a small 2 bedroom apartment and my son and daughter share a bedroom which gets very hot when they have friends over and play video games in it. That's why they take their t-shirts off.I have talked to her about how taking her t-shirt off as a female can bring other reactions than when taking it off as a male. She doesn't seem to really care and says her friends don't care either. I told her people might be offended and she says that's their problem then, why should she cover her breasts when they can show theirs? Are you going to cover your face if I'm offended by it?I brought up the legal aspect and she says she already knows, why do I think she's not playing topless in school when the boys are? She thinks in her own bedroom she can at least be topless if her guests can. I'm willing to agree with her, I'm just worried that the parents of the boys will have a bad reaction if they find out. There's also the risk someone decides to take a picture of her and spread it, but she says that's their problem and they'll get in trouble for it, not her. She knows the picture might already be spread all over town by the time they get in trouble for it, but she doesn't really care. "It's just breasts, mom."In general, she's got a fair bit of confidence and doesn't care too much what other people think of her. There's already been a rumor she doesn't shave her legs (apparently all the other girls do) in school and she didn't care too much about it. I guess that's about it. In principle I agree with my daughter, please let me know what kind of reaction to expect this.Btw, I forgot to mention that I asked my son if his friends talk about it when she's not around. One of the more popular boys, I might describe him as the leader of the group, has said it's cool and why shouldn't she be able to take it off when they can. The other boys seem to agree with this (even though I'm sure it's a curiosity to them). She's also got a boyfriend who I assume is cool with it too. via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2nBbxXo
No comments:
Post a Comment