Saturday, 18 March 2017

Son's second date and a proud dad moment


Hello and please forgive me for this post, but I just really need to get this out of my system.A month ago, my 12 year old boy, got his first ever girlfriend. He’s been in love with her since the beginning of the school year, and the whole transition of him being only interested in comic books and action figures to blushing every time he mentioned her name in a story about an awesome thing she did in class that day, has been a very sweet one.So, yesterday, my boy went on a 2nd date with his girlfriend. He saved up money for a couple weeks to buy her a bouquet of her favorite flowers, a card, and a box of her favorite candies. The girl’s dad and I, brought the kids to the cinema, and deciding that we both trust the kids enough, and also have absolutely no desire to watch the incredibly dull movie they wanted just so we could spy on them in the dark, we left the kids alone and went to get some coffee.We came back a couple hours later, the dull movie was done, and the date was over. On our drive back, I asked my son how the date went, “it was the most perfect date in the entire world, no no no universe!” was the answer I got. So, I decided to push for some details that might give me something to tease him with when he’s in his 20’s. So, the rest of the conversation went something like this:“Did you hold her hand?”“Yes”“Did you kiss her?”“No…”“Did you want to?”“Yes, but I didn’t know if she wanted me to kiss her, so I’ll ask her next time”This shouldn’t be a big deal. A young boy respecting his girlfriend’s wishes, but unfortunately even at the times we live in, it’s still quite rare. As a guy, I’ve had the bad luck to be in front of many ‘father-son’ and ‘man to man’ talks about women and almost none of them came even close to mentioning the girl’s wants.I’m the type of parent who worries too much about everything. I’m diagnosed by my therapist as "over-protective" and I’m working on it, but I’ve made more than enough mistakes in my life and the fear that my kid will repeat them haunts me, which is why I make sure to use me and my experiences as a cautionary tale. So, hearing those words from my 12 year old boy, suddenly made me feel like I must be doing something right. via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2nwT3ur

No comments:

Post a Comment