Wednesday, 3 April 2019

My 4 year old is a fucking asshole and I am at the end of my rope


I'll start by saying that I love my son completely. He can be funny and charming and sweet, but those times lately seem to pale in comparison to when he's just being a straight up fucking dick. Basically, whenever he is told no, even for the smallest of things, he will either hit or call me a "jerk". I don't even know where he got that name from. We don't say that in our house and as far as I know, nobody has called him that. Either way, that's his go to insult right now. A month ago it was "you're stupid". I don't know what's worse.Anyway, we have talked to him about it. We talk calmly and explain how it's not nice. We have taken things away when he hits or name calls. We walk away and leave the room. He gets timeouts. Nothing seems to make a dent in this behavior.For example, earlier tonight he wanted me to make a video on my phone of him dancing, so I did. He ended the dance by running toward me and pushing the phone out of my hands and in to my face. I got down to his level and held his hands and looked him in the eyes and told him how that is the type of behavior we have been talking to him about. How that hurt me and that it is mean and that he should not do it again. 5 minutes later, he asked to do another video. I initially told him no, but after about 30 seconds of him asking and asking, I finally relented. As you could guess, he ended this dance the same way with jumping and pushing the phone in my face. I immediately put the phone down and off to bed he went (it was bedtime and we were working towards that anyway). I again told him, this time in a not so calm manner, that this is the type of thing that makes me very angry and that we don't like.But that sort of thing is not atypical. He'll do something wrong. I'll correct it. He'll do it again almost immediately. I'll correct it again. Cycle continues until I've lost my composure and now I'm very angry and almost yelling. I know this is a toddler pushing his boundaries, but I'm really at the end of my rope with this. Do we just keep at this over and over week after week to stay consistent until this phase is over? Should we try something else? Is my kid just an asshole? I hate going through this and getting so angry with him several times a day and just want to fix it somehow, but don't know what to do. via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/2Vmeqfg

No comments:

Post a Comment